Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My favorite panini

Four years ago, during the last World Cup, I made two startling realizations: 1) I LOVE red onions; and 2) Every sandwich tastes better grilled. I made these discoveries while at Amante, the watering hole for all the single-speed riders and European ex-pats in Boulder--in other words, the absolute best place to be to watch the Italy v. France game. I got there almost a full hour early so I could actually get a seat (the place is tiny) and god help anyone who vacates their chair for longer than the 2mins it takes to grab a coffee or take a piss. Leaving at half time to grab lunch was out of the question, so my only food option was to pay $7 for a panini the size of my cell phone. (I do not have an iPhone.) I grudgingly bought the panini, grumbling Elmer Fudd-like the whole time.

My mouth exploded with the tastes of spicy turkey breast, red onion, green apple and melted jalapeño havarti! The next day I was cruising craigslist for a panini press. Bingo! $20 and one happy garage-sale couple later, I was the proud owner of a never-used Bella Cucina panini press. Oh, how my spirit soared and my stomach roared! (Too much? I'll try to scale it back, but I was really, really excited.) Every day I tried new flavor combinations, and one day I came up with this: the perfect panini.

For 1 sandwich, you'll need:
Some sort of sandwich grilling aparatus (panini grill, George Foreman grill, or a skillet and a heavy weight)
Thinly sliced hard salami
Your favorite brie cheese (not triple crème, it melts too quickly)
3-4 fresh basil leaves, shredded
A green apple, sliced ~3-4mm thick
San Francisco Sourdough Bread

I layer things as follows: Bread, green apple, shredded basil, most of the brie, salami, a little bit of brie (to make the bread stick to the salami) and the other piece of bread. The brie melts rapidly, but not before the bread gets crisp and golden.
Serve on a napkin-covered plate a (this soaks up the moisture and keeps the panini from getting soggy.)


Mmm, my favorite! Unfortunately, these days my panini indulgence is most frequently the: whatever-I-have-in-my-fridge-between-bread. Last week I discovered the joy of Dijon mustard, picante provolone and left-over Whole Foods popcorn chicken... Actually quite tasty.)

No comments:

Post a Comment